When I graduated from
Hemlock High School in 1969 (OK, I’m giving away

my age) I and most kids were listening to the
Beatles,
Led Zepplin,
Creedence,
Cream… you know, rock and roll. But living in that
small town, I also heard a fair amount of country music. And I liked country music, especially
Johnny Cash. I also had been playing guitar for a few years so I was crazy about watching anybody who had a guitar in his or her hands. Well, much to my delight, in June of ’69,
“The Johnny Cash Show” premiered on ABC. Over the next two years, Johnny produced 57 amazing episodes featuring performances from
Bob Dylan,
Neil Young,
Loretta Lynn,
Ray Charles,
James Taylor and many, many others.
Flash forward a gazillion years. I now work at WTVS Detroit Public TV and

I’m pleased to report (here comes the shameless plug) that on Wednesday, March 5 at 8 p.m., we’ll broadcast “
Johnny Cash: A Man and His Vision,” which includes a selection of clips from that classic TV series. We’ll also offer tickets to a cool Johnny Cash tribute concert. I hope you’ll join me in watching, not to just reacquaint ourselves with Johnny’s genius, but for the blast of seeing all those other performers at the beginning (or at the top) of their careers.
One performer who has definitely held up well over the years is James
Taylor and, wouldn’t you

know it, we’re following the Cash special with a new “Great Performances” featuring Sweet Baby James alone with his guitar singing, and telling stories about, memorable songs like “Fire and Rain,” “Carolina on My Mind” and, well, name your favorite. That’s 9 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, on WTVS Channel 56.
I’ll be watching and looking forward to letting Johnny and James take me down those country roads back to small mid-Michigan town. It’s June 1969 and it’s hotter than a pepper sprout.
Posted by Dave Devereaux, VP, Brand Management, Detroit Public TV
No comments:
Post a Comment