
In his short, fast and intensely lived life, James Dean appeared in three movies. Lucky for you, Detroit Public TV is showing two of those on Saturday night. We’ve got “Rebel Without a Cause” at 9 p.m. and “East of Eden” at 10:55. Both of which are followed by an American Masters profile of Jimmy at 1 a.m. So if you’ve never immersed yourself in the genius of James Dean, here’s your chance.
But let’s talk about “Rebel Without a Cause,” my all-time favorite movie. The film was made in 1955 and I first saw it when I was about 12. It made a HUGE impression on me as I had just moved from one small town to another and I was the new kid in school, just like Jim Stark (Dean), struggling to fit in and coping with adolescent angst. Man, this movie is the poster child for angst. Jim has to deal with bullies who like to pull switchblades and drive cars off cliffs just for yuks. Then there are his clueless parents, especially the spineless Dad. (Jim Backus is unforgettable in his apron-wearing role). But wait, Jim does have a couple of friends sort of. Plato (Sal Mineo) unhealthily idolizes Jim, while Judy (a luminous Natalie Wood) is torn between the cool kids and the mysterious Jim. Together, they mope, anguish, love and yes, rebel, against the emotional strife crashing down on them. One little tip I gleaned from the film? Don’t wear a leather jacket with all sorts of straps and chains and stuff when attempting to drive a car off a cliff.

But let’s talk about “Rebel Without a Cause,” my all-time favorite movie. The film was made in 1955 and I first saw it when I was about 12. It made a HUGE impression on me as I had just moved from one small town to another and I was the new kid in school, just like Jim Stark (Dean), struggling to fit in and coping with adolescent angst. Man, this movie is the poster child for angst. Jim has to deal with bullies who like to pull switchblades and drive cars off cliffs just for yuks. Then there are his clueless parents, especially the spineless Dad. (Jim Backus is unforgettable in his apron-wearing role). But wait, Jim does have a couple of friends sort of. Plato (Sal Mineo) unhealthily idolizes Jim, while Judy (a luminous Natalie Wood) is torn between the cool kids and the mysterious Jim. Together, they mope, anguish, love and yes, rebel, against the emotional strife crashing down on them. One little tip I gleaned from the film? Don’t wear a leather jacket with all sorts of straps and chains and stuff when attempting to drive a car off a cliff.

Anyway, it’s a great film. If you’ve seen it 27 times like me, watch it again. If you’ve never seen it, check it out. You won’t be disappointed. And, by the way, the angst fest has only just begun… stay tuned for another emotionally distraught James Dean in “East of Eden.” Thanks for watching and thanks to our friends a Chase Bank for sponsoring our “Film Festival.”
Dave Devereaux
VP, Brand Management
Dave Devereaux
VP, Brand Management
No comments:
Post a Comment