Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Unexpected Discoveries



“I normally don’t like the stuff you guys show,” a friend of mine said recently. Well, that’s a charming conversation starter, I thought. “But I stumbled across that American Masters special on Marvin Gaye and it was great!” I wish I had a dime for every time I’ve heard that, because it seems to be a fairly common experience among public television viewers. I remember some years back when I “stumbled” across a Nova special on the Dead Sea Scrolls. Honestly, if I saw that as a TV listing, I probably wouldn’t have tuned in, but having found it, I was hooked after a few minutes, ended up being fascinated by the documentary, and then the next day I’m annoying friends and neighbors with arcane facts about the Dead Sea Scrolls. I’m an instant expert, thanks to PBS. Of course, by now I’ve forgotten all that I learned in that show, but here’s my question: Has this happened to you? Please tell us about a memorable show that you saw on Detroit Public TV that was an unexpected discovery. You don’t have to send me a dime… but I would like to hear your story.

Dave Devereaux
VP, Communications
Detroit Public Television








No comments: