Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Students Need Grounding in Patriotism

“American children should grow up knowing that although their country has its faults, it’s built on a foundation of the purest principles. And it’s okay to be proud of that.” Nolan Finley, Detroit News editorial page editor and host of Detroit Public TV’s “Am I Right?”

This closing line from Nolan’s May 18 Detroit News column (Students Need Grounding in Patriotism) had a great impact on me. Perhaps it was the timing. I had just seen a photo from a Cub Scout event at our Riley Broadcast Center that had taken place a couple weeks before. The event began as all scouting activities do, with a pledge of allegiance. The photo showed the reverence that the boys had for the flag that waves majestically in front of Detroit Public TV’s home. It was inspiring, and I believe the best moments of inspiration cause us to look not at others, but ourselves. I realized that I had walked past this same flag each day, usually while contemplating work assignments. It felt surprisingly good to join the scouts in reciting the pledge that day, so why haven’t I done it since?

Too busy? How long does it take? I’m going to walk outside right now and correct this oversight. And if anyone asks what I was doing out there, I’ll ask them to join me tomorrow.

Nolan Finley may be on to something in this column which suggests that civics should have an increased role in our child’s lesson plans. As parents, let’s remember that we are their most influential teachers.

John
Please note my new address and phone number.
Detroit Public TV
Riley Broadcast Center
1 Clover Court
Wixom , MI 48393
248-305-3781

No comments: