
I called the 888-DTV-2009 phone number about 8 weeks ago and recieved my $40 coupon last week. The coupons are actually plastic cash cards valued at $40, but only valid for 3 months. That is all explained in the literature the government sends. I was also surprised that they actually printed on the literature the names and locations of about 8 retailers in my area who carried CECB Boxes (Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes) I went to Radio Shack and got the Digital Stream Model because I read that it has a on screen TV guide that extends out several days. I have not checked that out yet.
But now to the good part. It is very, very easy to install on a TV. One RF cable to hook up and that is it. Zip, zap, done! (Note that Radio Shack asked me if I wanted an antenna and extra video and audio cables, but I wanted to try the bare bones box first) Once I pushed the POWER button on the remote control that comes with it, the system defaults to the Channel Scan screen, so even I could not screw it up. Anyway, I scanned the channels and VOILA! That inexpensive little analog TV came alive with color and sound. The picture quality is really, really good. But I do occasionally get some interference and the words WEAK SIGNAL appears on the screen. When that happens, I simply go to the menu and access the Signal Strength meter and adjust the rabbit ears until the Signal Strength meter goes up from yellow to green. Very easy.
It turns out that it is easier than I thought to still get low power Analog transmissions on my set, from stations like Channel 9 in Windsor. Radio Shack sells a splitter that I can put on the back of the TV and run the converter box and an analog antenna together. What is that you say? All TV stations are going Digital after Feb. 17, 2009 so why would you need a splitter? I did some more research; it turns out that more than 2,900 low power stations and about 4,400 signal-relay stations known as “translators” that extend broadcasts to rural areas will not be required to go digital by the deadline, and may lack the resources to do so. So, unless the manufacturers of the converter boxes make “analog pass through” boxes widely available in the future, this Radio Shack splitter will be the way to go.
So my suggestion is don’t be shy about getting a converter box if you need one. They are not complicated and really improve the video and audio functionality of our old analog sets.
Related topic: Of course, wouldn’t you know it. The next morning after I installed my own converter box, I had an email from a viewer in Warren, who was having a technical issue with his new box. I was able to help him troubleshoot the problem and as far as I know, resolve the problem.
Bill Van Horn
Audience Services
But now to the good part. It is very, very easy to install on a TV. One RF cable to hook up and that is it. Zip, zap, done! (Note that Radio Shack asked me if I wanted an antenna and extra video and audio cables, but I wanted to try the bare bones box first) Once I pushed the POWER button on the remote control that comes with it, the system defaults to the Channel Scan screen, so even I could not screw it up. Anyway, I scanned the channels and VOILA! That inexpensive little analog TV came alive with color and sound. The picture quality is really, really good. But I do occasionally get some interference and the words WEAK SIGNAL appears on the screen. When that happens, I simply go to the menu and access the Signal Strength meter and adjust the rabbit ears until the Signal Strength meter goes up from yellow to green. Very easy.
It turns out that it is easier than I thought to still get low power Analog transmissions on my set, from stations like Channel 9 in Windsor. Radio Shack sells a splitter that I can put on the back of the TV and run the converter box and an analog antenna together. What is that you say? All TV stations are going Digital after Feb. 17, 2009 so why would you need a splitter? I did some more research; it turns out that more than 2,900 low power stations and about 4,400 signal-relay stations known as “translators” that extend broadcasts to rural areas will not be required to go digital by the deadline, and may lack the resources to do so. So, unless the manufacturers of the converter boxes make “analog pass through” boxes widely available in the future, this Radio Shack splitter will be the way to go.
So my suggestion is don’t be shy about getting a converter box if you need one. They are not complicated and really improve the video and audio functionality of our old analog sets.
Related topic: Of course, wouldn’t you know it. The next morning after I installed my own converter box, I had an email from a viewer in Warren, who was having a technical issue with his new box. I was able to help him troubleshoot the problem and as far as I know, resolve the problem.
Bill Van Horn
Audience Services
1 comment:
This is the wrong place to post this comment, but I couldn't find a plain ol' 'contact us' button. I'm sure it's there, but I couldn't find it.
On your cooking show: as a transplanted Quebecoise, I have to tell you that 'poutine' is pronounced 'pooteen', not the way your chef pronounced. Every time I heard his pronunciation I cringed.
Do with this comment what you wish.
Doesn't need to be posted, just please forward it to where it should go. Thanks.
Post a Comment